Thursday, June 3, 2010

Doesn't life just feel so overwhelming sometimes?

  









Honestly, I wasn't going to post anything new today. Mainly because they say when you update every day it can be hard for others to keep up. But that was until I discovered a writing prompt in my facebook status updates.

Doesn't life just feel so overwhelming sometimes?

    And I thought to myself, Yes, yes it does.  Sometimes I let my mind wander back to when I was little and so carefree. You all know what I mean. The time when your parents took care of you.
My parents fed me good food, provided clothing for me to wear and loved me for the first eighteen years of my life. My parents still love me, but as I grew older, I longed to be on the outside, wanting to gain a presence in the world.

    I couldn't wait to get out of the house. I wanted the freedom to stay up late, go out with as many boys as I liked, and order pizza at 2 o'clock in the morning.     

   After the reality sunk into my brain, (probably when I ran out of money) I realized that I wanted to go back. I wanted to go back to just being a kid, when you don't have to worry about where your rent or mortgage is going to come from, whether or not you have enough money to buy that pair of boots for your daughter or if you have enough to finally afford that Disneyland vacation.

  When life gets to be too overwhelming for me, I tend to turn to the entertainment in my life. I am involved in a lot of social media sites, Twitter, Blogging, Blogfrog, Facebook. When I don't have to worry about my own problems, and can just laugh at tweets and blog posts that people write, that makes me happy.

      But something else makes me happy as well. My faith. My faith in God. The hope that I have that this too shall pass.  I feel very blessed in the knowledge that I know I am a daughter of God and that he loves me.  

   When I feel overwhelmed, I get down on my knees, and pray to my Heavenly Father, God, and ask him to help me get through the day.  And you know what? God hears me. And he answers my prayers. He may not always answer them in the timely way I like, but ultimately, He knows what is good for me. He knows what I need.
 
   He might answer my prayer in a phone call from a friend. Or in an email. Or maybe even a comment on my blog. Something to know that I am not the only person out there, that believes in a higher power other than ourselves.  
 
   I recently got a comment on my blog from a friend I met at a blogger conference. She was pleased because I had tweeted her recent blog post out and had linked to her on my blog. And she told me, "You are just so nice! Thank you!"
 
  That's all I am trying to do.
  
   I am trying to reach out to people on a somewhat daily basis and bring some joy in their life. Because when  I do, it makes me forget my life. If for a minute, you forget your life and smile when you read my blog post, then my writing is not done in vain.
   
   It was done for that smile I gave you.
   
   It was done to help you forget your chores for a minute and remember.
   
   Remember what life was like when you were smaller and your life was a bit more care-free.

Because life as an adult doesn't have to be so burdened. We can be just as care-free as we used to be when we were little. Start simple. Look at the little things in life that bring us joy and run with it.

Because if we can't find joy in the little things, then what on earth can ever make us happy?

Dislaimer: I normally don't get all spiritual-like on my blog. But because of one simple Facebook status update, I felt I had to write this post and get it out of my system. I hope you all will continue to stay. I might be funny tomorrow. You just never know.

One more thing, that Facebook status that prompted all this? You can get to her blog by clicking on Mama Nut.  She is awfully inspiring too. ;) Thanks! I hope your day gets less overwhelming! ;)



Image obtained through Google images and can be found at http://www.stanford.edu/~jbaugh/saw/studentphoto/Scenery/CampsBaySunset.JPG
For some reason Blogger will not let me post pictures today from my computer. Grrr...!





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

17 comments:

Tylaine said...

Very nice post :) Oh I so feel that way sometimes! That's wonderful that your faith gets you through. I admire that. :)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I love that side of you!

Ya, life....ouch. It's all really great until it walks up to you and slaps you across the face!

Hugs for the day!

TisforTonya said...

some days are more overwhelming than others to be sure... I'm hoping to pop out of my funk and be funny by tomorrow - right now I'm just appreciating your little insight and I need to be willing to let someone else take control for the day... because I'm not doing such a great job!

(great, now every time I use the ellipses I'm afraid Denae is going to come after me with her virtual red pen!!!)

Donda said...

You are so right! Real life does get too much to handle sometimes. Facebook is a good stress reliever/escape. It's like "Cheers" where everybody knows your name!

Amber Page Writes said...

We're lucky to have you! I, for one, will b certain to stick around!

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Life IS overwhelming but I love that I can rest in the Lord's arms anytime I want and He refreshes me.

I love this post! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Teresa <><

Pitterle Postings said...

Thanks for the post today. I think we all get a little overwhelmed from time to time. It is not the feeling that causes problems, it is what we do or don't do because of that feeling. Thanks for posting a very inspirational insight!

Lisa said...

You DO bring many of us joy. Just putting my name in "Banana Fanna" form was delightful! Thank you for your obviously contagious happy disposition. Love you!

Unknown said...

:) It's good. Good to be all you sometimes. Never fear, this is lovely!

Living the Scream said...

what great insight! I do agree that life gets WAY too overwhelming!!

Respectfully Yours said...

Life can be overwhelming at times. I just listened to Joyce Meyer today and she spoke of something similar. She encouraged everyone to get away for some quiet time where you could spend time to reflect and just connect with God. Thank goodness we have God to keep us at peace when life does get in the way.

Blessings to you. Nice post.

the lovely paper shop said...

i like your blog--you are a funny writer!

i am your newest follower!

Judi said...

Thank you for this post today! I really needed it! I especially loved--

"I am trying to reach out to people on a somewhat daily basis and bring some joy in their life. Because when I do, it makes me forget my life. If for a minute, you forget your life and smile when you read my blog post, then my writing is not done in vain."

thank you♥

Miss Breeze said...

Awesome Post Alexes. Who cares if you get all spiritual... it's part of who you are. And that should show through your blog.

Braden Bell said...

You do a great job reaching out to others, Alexes. I've noticed how good you are with that.

Lara said...

I love knowing I'm not the only out there who finds blogging much cheaper and easier than therapy! I can't even tell you how many times blogging has saved the day for me. :)

AdriansCrazyLife said...

This is a great post! I have been feeling that way a lot lately. In fact, I wrote a post last week called The Queen of Busy. Working hard on learning to say no and scale back a bit. I think my life would be a lot more fun if I did.

Related Posts with Thumbnails