Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Remember young love? My daughter has been bit by the "crush" bug

   First of all I want to thank all you people for your comments yesterday on my daughter's botched hair job. It means a lot. Apparently everyone has been there. Thank goodness. That makes me feel better that I am not the only mother that this has happen too. Whew!
   
Image obtained through Google Images. :)
   Next up, I want to take you back to young love. (Mainly because my 11 year old daughter likes the next-door neighbor boy who is also 11.) SIGH. Remember those crushes you had in middle school? 6th grade ring a bell? Yeah, I thought so. Let me take you back to my 6th grade year. Uh...If I can remember back that far...
I tried for the life of me to remember my 6th grade year and crushes. But apparently 6th grade was rather tragic for me. I was the youngest in my school and I didn't know where anything was. BUT I am sure I had them. Because every year I was in school there was always a boy I liked. That's how I got through the year.
I do remember eighth grade though. Taylor. And NO, not Taylor Lautner...As if. I don't think he was even conceived when I was 14.  My friend Nicole used to hang out at Taylor's place. She invited me over to meet him.  Well, later that evening I get a call from Nicole.
"Uh, Alexes? Yeah. Taylor is going to be calling you later."
"Who?"
"Taylor. That guy we were hanging out with. He likes you."
"Uh, ok. Thanks Nicole."
Taylor did call me later. I flipped. My stomach was edgy and nervous. He wanted to see me. I told him he could meet me at my brother's T-ball game at the elementary school. He did. We talked. We flirted. We hung out.We did this all with my grandparent's in the stands. I was somewhat embarrassed when he put his arm around me. (For a slight second, not for long or anything.) I don't know...I was all nerves.
Well, Taylor and I dated for about 4 weeks. (Which is probably about a year in middle school life.) :) All the while, my friend threatened to kick my butt if she saw me in school. Because she LIKED Taylor. SIGH.  I was on top of the world for 4 weeks when I was not in school, because a 9th grader liked me.
Sigh.
I remember driving by some boy's house on my bike and in a car (once I got my license) and sitting in front of my crush's house and seeing if he would come out. If I knocked on my crush's door that would be the end of me.
I had no confidence back then.
And now? I have TONS of confidence. I know who I am and what I stand for. I am beautiful. I am funny.
I am me. And you know what?
My 11 year old daughter is just like me. Not the me I was like WAY back when. The me I am now. The confident me.
Yeah. I'm in trouble. I can see it already. Teen Years. How many boys can I date on a Friday night again Mom?
Sigh.
I can't wait. UGH.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh lord daddy better get the shotgun and battle gear ready. Just cause SHE is ready for a crush and boys I don't think daddy is or will be anytime soon lol

Anonymous said...

I was like the old you, too. I'm glad your daughter is full of confidence. I'm sure she will give you LOTS of blog fodder in the future.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Oh my goodness, LOL! Too funny! And you are so cute.

I don't think I even noticed boys till I was tweleve or thirteen. My oldest daughter on the other hand is already somewhat obsessed with them. Oh dear.

Maybe we'll have to support each other! :D

P.S. And thanks for all your great comments on everything. You've been so good to go to all my guest posts and comment. Because you're awesome like that.

Blogs said...

oh how i can totally relate:) our young girls are growing up way too fast but honestly, i'm loving these moments as i'm sure you are:) xoxo

Tracie Nall said...

I love that you have instilled confidence into your daughter. Confidence that I never had at that age. Seriously. The stories I could tell....but my blog is known to people in my real life. *sigh*

Now we just have to figure out how to lock up that confident daughter for the next five years? No? Hmmm must be just me thinking that.

gayle said...

I am so glad I don't have to go through this again......already did it with 2 girls.:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails