Thursday, September 2, 2010

Something about Surrogacy

Jill as a Surrogate Mom.
My totally awesome friend Jill has been a surrogate mother. Not once, but twice before. And one of the pregnancies was TWINS. ;)
    I think carrying a baby for another woman is a perfect gift. Some women can't have any babies of their own without the help of a surrogate. Beautiful women like my friend step in. Surrogates carry the baby for 9 months, in some cases,( almost 9 months when it is twins) and then when the sweet baby is delivered, she hands the baby over to the woman who is going to raise the baby.
I think it takes a special type of woman to do that.
If I could not have a baby on my own, a surrogate would be a perfect option I think. (I wonder if you can show up to the doctor's appointments and listen to the baby's heartbeat and such...) That's just cool.
There is always adoption, but I think there is just something special about a surrogate. That's your embryo. That's your egg and sperm implanted in another woman who wants to through a pregnancy for YOU. A woman wants to carry YOUR baby for you. What a blessing AND a relief!
 My friend has been a blessing in 2 different families lives.
Why do I mention my beautiful friend now?
MormonSurrogate

Well, my wonderful friend, Jill AKA Mormon Surrogate, has written a book. She grabbed some special illustrators (her children) to illustrate the book for her. And she is looking for some lucky reviewers. The book is going to come out September 10th on her BIRTHDAY! (Hopefully!)
If you are interested in reviewing this children's book about surrogacy please contact Jill at Mormon Surrogate (Her blog :))
She is giving some people a chance to review her book. The "details" on how you can review it are on her blog!
I am SO EXCITED to be telling you guys about this! Surrogate mothers are truly a blessing from God. ;)
I found this beautiful poem ;) 

I Will Be A Wonderful Mother - Author Unknown


I Will Be A Wonderful Mother - Author Unknown

There are women who become mothers without effort,
without thought,
without patience or loss,
and though they are good mothers and love their children,
I know that I will be better.

I will be better not because of genetics or money or because I have read more books,
but because I have struggled and toiled for this child.

I have longed and waited.

I have cried and prayed.

I have endured and planned over and over again.

Like most things in life, the people who truly have appreciation are those who have struggled to attain their dreams.

I will notice everything about my child.

I will take time to watch my child sleep, explore, and discover.

I will marvel at this miracle every day for the rest of my life.

I will be happy when I wake in the middle of the night to the sound of my child, knowing that I can comfort, hold, and feed him and that I am not waking to take another temperature, pop another pill, take another shot or cry tears of a broken dream.

My dream will be crying for me.

I count myself lucky in this sense; that God has given me this insight, this special vision with which I will look upon my child.

Whether I parent a child I actually give birth to or a child that God leads me to, I will not be careless with my love.

I will be a better mother for all that I have endured.

I am a better wife, a better aunt, a better daughter, neighbor, friend, and sister because I have known pain.

I know disillusionment, as I have been betrayed by my own body. I have been tried by fire and hell that many never face, yet given time, I stood tall.

I have prevailed.

I have succeeded.

I have won.

So now, when others hurt around me, I do not run from their pain in order to save myself discomfort.

I see it, mourn it, and join them in theirs.

I listen.

And even though I cannot make it better, I can make it less lonely.

I have learned the immense power of another hand holding tight to mine, of other eyes that moisten as they learn to accept the harsh truth when life is beyond hard.

I have learned a compassion that only comes by walking in those shoes.

I have learned to appreciate life.

Yes, I will be a wonderful mother.
-Author Unknown

Thanks Jill. It is truly a blessing to know you! ;)
Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

Donda said...

It really does take a special woman to do a surrogacy. I always wondered how they just handed the baby over....just seems like it would be heart wrenching.

Mormon Surrogate: I'm not the mom I'm just the stork said...

Aw you sure know how to make a girl feel special! I seriously love you and I am so glad we have found each other even if it's only online for the time being.

Donda- It's not heart wrenching at all. Imagine finally seeing a friend or sister having a baby after so much heartache. It's the most uplifting experience in the world for most of us. We are honored to be human incubators and so happy to see the babies in their parents arms where they belong.

MommyLisa said...

I loved being pregnant and it took me three years to get there. If I could I would so love to do that for someone else. :) Peace.

TisforTonya said...

as much as she downplays it Jill is still an amazing person to give so much. Could I? well, the doctor didn't exactly leave that option open... health issues and all - surrogacy is an amazing gift!

Tracie Nall said...

What a precious precious gift to give a family.

A life carrier and an author. Jill is one busy woman! =) I love it!

Unknown said...

k seriously why do you feel the need to make me all weepy eyed with the poem. I am sorry I have been missing apparently google swallowed your feed again.. think I have it fixed now lol

Cori said...

Wow how cool is that!! I'm off to check out Jill's blog too!!

BTW are you LDS too?? I am :)

Sandra said...

How fantastic is Jill! And she's an author. I don't even have the words to describe how much awe I am in right now at this woman.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That is truly amazing! I can't believe I'm sitting here bawling.
What a wonderful gift.

Cheeseboy said...

Interesting. The idea of Mormon surrogacy is very interesting. My wife might be interested in her blog.

Mormon Surrogate: I'm not the mom I'm just the stork said...

Forgot to comment on the Dr. Visits: It's ususally totally cool for the IP's (intendede parents) to go to the dr. visits with the surrogate. We don't always live in the same state as the parents though. For me, the parents were able to come to the main ultrasound. (awesome moment) Then the birth. In between, I would just send updates through e-mail and phone calls.

Cheeseboy- It can actually be a touchy subject. Not everyone is cool with the combo.
:(

Unknown said...

I know it's not the same, but having suffered through infertility and gone through two rounds of in vitro, I feel like I could be a surrogate. Not that it would be easy to give the baby up, but I would love to give that gift to someone....I already tried to donate my eggs, but that didn't work (I posted about it, apparently I'm already too old---or my eggs are---or both!). Anyway, what a wonderful sounding book and congratulations to your friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails