Monday, March 22, 2010

The Moment we all have been waiting for...Okay, maybe just me--READ ON!

Ahem. I got the chance LAST week to interview a fabulous person. Mombabe Bingham. For those of you who are not familiar with her she helps design the website and other such stuff over at MMB~ Mormon Mommy Blogs.
She is also an organizer for Casual Blogger conference~ A conference for the casual blogger, comfortable AND affordable at 175 bucks a person!
And now my interview...:)

First of all, Who came up with the idea of a Casual Blogger conference? You or Motherboard?

Oh gosh, credit definitely goes to Motherboard. We had talked about it a little bit, and one day, we just said, you know what? We could do this.. and thus is began.

How in the world did you get such great speakers to attend and present at this conference?

I DON'T EVEN KNOW! (Kidding.) Really, it just came down to asking. When we explained what we were doing, and why we were doing it, we received tremendous support. The positive response has just been absolutely amazing.


How do you do ALL that you do in ONE day?*managing all of us contributors at MMB, Tweet, Check up on blogs, email, promote yourself online...etc.*

There's the question I was waiting for. I feel like things are finally "settling down". What a lot of people don't realize is the hours and hours of work that go into running a website and heading up a conference. MMB is growing like crazy, and it takes a lot of maintenance. We're definitely lucky to have such an amazing team to help us behind the scenes. Psst, and I happen to be on the TEAM she is referring to. Yippee! I love it, I am meeting so many people!

Of course, by utilizing the online tools and applications that are available these days, simplifying gets easier. I have a "hub" where all my information comes in, so that I don't have to be in 8 different places.

I also allot a certain number of hours each day to the computer. I cannot be popping in and out all day, because I will get sucked in. I turn the computer on, do my stuff, then I shut it down.


That's the online side of it. Now how do you manage the Mom side of it--keeping up with the kids and such?

My family comes first. Period. My kids are still so young, (ages 6, 5, 3, and 2) that they need a lot of mom time. And I give it to them. I'm sure in another couple of years, I couldn't pay them to spit on me, so I'm definitely enjoying it while I can.

Of course, if you want to get in to the actual logistics of things, it really is just multi-tasking. If I'm on a conference call, I'm folding laundry or cleaning the bathrooms at the same time. I always have someone on my lap when I'm answering emails.

When it comes down to it, I'm a wife and a mother first, and a blogger second. I'm not superwoman, and I don't pretend to be.


What are some tips that you could give us if we don't have a blog yet but would like to get started?

Do it for you. So many people get caught up in the numbers, and the drama. Blogging is not a popularity contest. It's just like real life, there's always someone that's going to be better than you at something, so get over it. We're not perfect, and that's what good blogging does. It helps you enjoy your imperfections.

You classify yourself as a "HTML geek". You say it excites you. Has it always been like this? Because quite honestly, HTML used to scare me. It is getting better for me though. And with that, what are some good books or websites that can teach me more of HTML stuff?

Short answer: I like structure, and HTML is the epitome of structure! Does this make me a complete and total dork? Yes. Yes it does. But how can you not love it? It just makes SO. MUCH. SENSE. And if I ever read a book about it, I would tell you, but I'm completely self taught so I'm not much help in that arena.

How long have you known The Motherboard? What role or roles does she have on MMB? What role do you have on MMB? *Besides the fabulous website design.... by the way*

Oh man, I don't even know. All my days blend into one another. I think I've known OF her for two years, and we started really working together about a year ago? (I could be totally wrong.) As for roles, we really do a lot of it together. She handle more of the advertising and sponsor inquiries and legal stuff, while I handle more of the posting and website maintenance. We work really well together, and I feel lucky to have such a great business partner. She's the good cop to my bad. (And yes, I'm always the bad cop.)


Lastly, what is one thing you want people to know who are nervous about the upcoming conference? *I got my tickets to Casual Blogger Conference, got learning about it--the classes and such, and then all of the sudden got nervous about it. Ya know, will people find me as fascinating in real life as they do on my blog?*

There is no way you're dorkier or more awkward than me. When I get nervous, I start making fun of people... be prepared for a lot of really bad jokes.

The ultimate question--Are you nervous about Casual Blogger Conference?

Nah, not really. I'm WAY too busy to be nervous.

What are some of your favorite posts on your blog?

My whole love story for one. There's a whole lot of parts to that one, but I think it is rather glorious. The whole thing can be found here, Love Story. This is WAY creative. I mean really. I would read it if I were you.

Oh, and the one about the time the police came to my house while I was in the bathroom.

I had the worst first date ever. No really, it was probably worse than yours.. unless you got shanked.

And just because everyone always likes to know why I had my kids so close, my pregnancy journey.


And you have been awarded BEST parenting blog of the year one time? Is that right? By who?

That's almost right. I got my trash kicked in the 2008 Weblog awards. And when people say it's an honor just to be nominated, they're lying. Winning is the only thing that matters, okay? WIN.NING.  Ahem. I think you deserved that award. I mean, you are funny, a terrific writer, blogger, mother and I am just not saying that either. Consider yourself awarded BEST BLOG in 2010 on MY blog. OK? :)

There you have it folks. The interview to TOP all other interviews. And if you are going to Casual Blogger Conference, you will get to meet MomBabe Bingham. Everyone should go, just for that chance.  And of course to meet ME, of course. LOL. :)

Thanks, Mombabe for giving me the chance to interview you!
Now go read some of her favorite posts! She is an excellent WRITER!




8 comments:

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Thanks hon. The pleasure was all mine. ;)

Angie said...

MomBabe is a babe. And she IS truely amazing at what she does. I have been lucky enough to sit in her office with her into the weee hours of the night while she designed my website.

Here's me: Blah Blah Blah, don't you think so, Caroline?

Here's her: Sure, Angie, whatever you think. I sure hope we will finish up this blog design soon so i can go back to good things, like MMB, CBC10, and being a great mom.

She seriously doesn't sweat it. And I verify, she is an HTML fiend. Its sick weird.

Oh, and she is REALLY good at not being on the computer all day. I SUCK at that!

As she said to me, I have "so much to learn, young grasshopper!"

Truth from the MomBabe. You heard it here.

See how I ramble on? She doesn't do that either.

Angie said...

You (and I) thought i was done, but i'm not, apparently.

I would like to add that one thing that def helps that lady keep it all balanced is that she doesn't have a cell phone. Or ipod touch. Or laptop. She is good at compartmentalizing computer time, cause she can't take it with her. She's very efficient.

Jealous of that skill. And discipline.

See Mom Smile said...

Awesome interview. And HTML is still a scary 4 letter word to me.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Oh Angie, can you IMAGINE if I had all those things? Nothing would ever get done.

Morgan Hagey said...

Awesome.

But, Mombabe, you don't have a cell phone? DANG! That's incredible. (And hideously ironic HOW incredible it really is!)

Unknown said...

She sounds like someone I would totally get along with.. but I can't even afford a shoe lace right now.. sighs maybe someday..

Erin said...

What a fun blog post! I really, really wish I could be there (to the conference). I guess I will just have to live vicariously through you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails