Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Where I have been hiding out lately?

I admit it. I have had my nose in a book.

The Sapphire Flute by Karen Hoover  is being released March 16. I had the opportunity to read this book.
Wow. Just Wow. I found this summary on the Valor publishing website.
Here take a look.


It has been 3,000 years since a white mage has been seen upon Rasann.
In the midst of a volcanic eruption miles outside of her village, Ember discovers she can see magic and change the appearance of things at will. Against her mother's wishes, she leaves for the mage trials only to be kidnapped before arriving. In trying to escape, she discovers she has inherited her father's secret--a secret that places her in direct conflict with her father's greatest enemy.
At the same time, Kayla is given guardianship of the sapphire flute and told not to play it. The evil mage C'Tan has been searching for it for decades and the sound alone is enough to call her. For the flute to be truly safe, Kayla must find its birthplace in the mountains high above Javak. The girls' paths are set on a collision course...a course that C'Tan is determined to prevent at all costs.



  I loved the descriptions in the book. I remember a certain description that caused my mouth to start salivating. Kayla was at a dinner feast and they were eating spicy steak.  My mouth started to water.  Karen's ability to have her readers experience what the characters are feeling is incredible.  I enjoyed the intensity of the book. The main character, Kayla has a choice--should she play the sapphire flute and risk having C'Tan find her OR should she just keep it in her possession? This book is an incredible adventure and if you have the slightest interest in fantasy OR romance even, you must read this novel.
I'm not even a fantasy book lover. But I really enjoyed this book.


The other character in the book that we follow is Ember. She wants and desires to be in the mage trials but her mother does not want her to participate at first.  She sneaks out in the quiet of the morning to attend. She does not get very far when she is captured.


Karen just keeps me guessing from the minute I picked the book up. Her ability to make me see each of her character's strengths and weaknesses--Beautiful. I can see why Valor Publishing is publishing this particular series of books. Wow. I hope I get to meet her at the writer's conference next month. She needs to sign the copy of the book I reviewed.


Thanks for letting me review this book Tristi. I enjoyed it very much.
 I won't spoil it for you.


Read it for yourself.  You can order your copy of the book HERE.





   





1 comment:

Karen E. Hoover said...

NIIICE! Thanks for the awesome review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I love that dinner scene too. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails